Sunday, February 13, 2011

Coming 2012

I'm going to comprehend what the principles of this thing called 'Animation'.


<= something like this

... I'm guessing

The Thirteen Basic Principles of Animation is a set of principles of animation introduced by the Disney animators Ollie Johnston and Frank Thomas in their 1981 book The Illusion of Life: Disney Animation.
The idea is that, with these principles someone can gain super mega ultra lightening cool animation ability.

THESE. Are the principles.
  • Spacing
  • Squashing and Stretching
  • Anticipation
  • Staging
  • Straight ahead action and pose to pose
  • Follow through and overlapping action
  • Slow in and slow out
  • Arc
  • Secondary action
  • Timing
  • Exaggeration
  • Solid drawing
  • Appeal

The aim with these principles is that a character can bring appeal... can be Realistic, and full of life.


Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Charmay, This is a very good step, and I wouldn't worry as these principles are something that are very difficult and often still unseen in many media uses of animation...which is unfortunate and should try to be avoided, and so I wouldn't worry or find it too overwhelming as the "EAPS" are something that are continually learnt from animators, I know I felt overwhelmed and found it difficult to comprehend and use these principles with animation, and I'm am still learning these and trying to improve my work. However there are actually 13 animation principles according to Frank, so don't let him see this...or perhaps let him so he can have fun educating you about the 13 principles etc. I like your blog and design as yet, so keep up the good work. Also I first saw these awesome designs from Disney for the principle of animation, based more so with "Stretch and Squash", and it showed some others "Appeal", "Arcs" and I believe these are awesome and good to learn for first year...the most important thing is "Practice" and to "Watch" others work. I'll give you a link to an awesome site with Animation Principles and History for animation etc. http://www.animationarchive.org/. :)

    ReplyDelete